Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cloverfield Sequel Remains Grounded

While promoting The Cabin in the Woods, Cloverfield writer Drew Goddard provided an updated on the sequel. In short, nothing has changed. Everyone wants to do it but no real progress has been made due to other projects everyone is involved with. Unless Abrams' sells the rights for a direct to DVD movie, I would be surprised if a sequel ever happens.
“I wish I had a better answer (laughs), I wish I had an answer where it’s like, ‘Oh the sequel’s starting shooting at this time next year,’ but the truth is, these things take time.”

“I think if you asked J.J., Matt and I, we each have our own ideas of what we would want to do, which is kind of how the first Cloverfield worked, it was sort of a conversation between the three of us. I’ve certainly thought about it a lot and I think Matt said the same and J.J. said the same, we just haven’t got the three of us together in one room to figure out what we would want to do.”

“Certainly we didn’t set out to make a franchise, we set out to make a good movie. That was what we set out to do. But also, I love that world and that universe so if there was an idea that excited us enough and we felt like there was a reason to do it, we would do it.”

“The nice thing about working with a guy like J.J. and the power he has [is that] the studio’s not gonna force him to do anything. He’s been able to say, ‘We’ll do it when we’re ready. We’re not gonna do it just because it’ll help your bottom line, we’re gonna do it because there’s an idea that excites us.’ So that’s informed our discussions, we don’t feel like we have to [do it], so it’s like, ‘Can we come up with something that excites us enough to do it?’ “

No comments:

Post a Comment